I’ve been a little absent from the internet lately as I’ve started a new job. I’m back in the kitchen again! I love everything about working as a baker. The quiet early morning hours are soothing; it seems the world hasn’t quite woken up yet as I bundle up and scurry to the bus stop, trying to avoid the -40 C winds (that’s -40 F, too!) from biting at my nose. It’s all worth it as I step into the kitchen and start making cupcakes for the day. Thinking of the eager grins that are sure to ensue as little ones peer through the glass at the beautifully frosted cupcakes warms my heart.
As always, I’m a sucker for easy recipes that feel gourmet — it’s amazing knowing you can create something beautiful even when your feet are crying out in pain from a long day at work and all you want to do is collapse on the bed.
Okay, most of the time I do end up collapsing on the bed. But I stayed upright long enough to make this savory-sweet crostini. You’ll need four basic ingredients and it’ll be ready in a pinch.
Textures are prominent in this dish as creamy, smooth brie cheese covers crunchy, sour granny apples, and crumbly crostini. A little drizzle of honey adds a punch of sweetness to each salty slice. If you can find a sourdough baguette, I highly recommend using that, but any baguette will do. Enjoy
Print Apple, Brie, and Honey Crostini Author: Katy’s Kitchen Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 15 mins Total time: 20 mins Yield: serves 4-6 A tantalizingly sour, sweet, and salty treat perfect as an appetizer at a party as little prep work is involved. Ingredients
- 1 baguette
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
- a small round of brie, at room temperature
- 1 granny smith apple
- honey, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Slice the baguette into 12 pieces about ½ inch thick and arrange them on a baking sheet. Brush each slice with olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden, rotating the baking sheet halfway through.
- While the bread is baking, slice the apple into thin slices, and the brie into slightly thicker slices.
- Place a couple of pieces of apple and brie on each crostini. Drizzle each slice with honey. Serve.