I’ve been a planner and a baker for as long as I remember. When I was little and my dad was traveling for work, organizing “welcome home” parties for him was seriously my favorite thing. I would plaster the house with posters and decorations and sit by my little Easy-Bake Oven for hours in order to make enough little cakes for everyone in the family (five!) to eat.
Those little Easy-Bake chocolate chip cakes were amazingly delicious, even though they came in a tiny little package of powder with mini chocolate chips. When I took the first bite of these banana muffins, I was transported back to that time. Somehow, the taste lingers in my mind, even though it was almost 20 years ago.
Side note: have you seen what the Easy-Bake Oven looks like nowadays? It looks like it should be on Star Trek! And it’s $60! Times have certainly changed.
This banana muffin recipe came from my mom, and it’s the sort of recipe I turn to when I’m feeling stressed, uninspired, or generally not myself. A good old banana muffin recipe can ground you and center you and remind you of what’s important in life. Family, friends, laughter. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
Print The Best Banana Muffins Author: Katy’s Kitchen Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 25 mins Total time: 45 mins Yield: 15 muffins This is my favorite banana muffin recipe, and it’s very forgiving. Use whatever add-ins you like; my favorite are of course chocolate chips. Freeze muffins individually for a quick breakfast. Ingredients
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup grapeseed oil (or other light oil)
- 2 eggs
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or pecans, walnuts, etc.)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a regular-sized muffin tray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sugar and oil and whisk to combine. Add the eggs and whisk to combine. Add the banana and whisk to combine.
- In a small mixing bowl, dissolve the baking soda in the sour cream. Add to the banana mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour to the banana mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
BANANA COCONUT MUFFINS (vegan)