For this post, I have put together a collection of the best carbon steel skillets currently available.
MY TOP PICK
If you are looking for the best overall skillet, I would recommend the Lodge 12″ Seasoned Carbon Steel Skillet. As the name suggests, it features 12-gauge carbon steel that heats quickly while retaining the heat for even cooking. Furthermore, the skillet is brutally tough, and therefore, an ideal choice for decades of cooking. Designed for use over any cooktop, you can use the skillet on electric cooktops, open fire, outdoor grills, gas cooktops, or induction stovetops. Also, the skillet is preseasoned using natural soy bean oil for a natural and easy-release finish that improves with time.
Are you about to upgrade your set of cookware? Or, do you want to purchase an entirely new set of cookware for a new kitchen? Whatever the case, skillets, pots, and pans are made from all types of materials, with some being of a higher quality than others. Not only that, but some materials can contaminate the food, which means that it is upon you to source for cookware made using the best materials on the market.
While most people opt to purchase cookware made using cast iron, cookware made using carbon steel is also an excellent investment. While compared to cast iron, carbon steel skillets are lighter and more affordable without sacrificing their ability to heat fast, retain the heat, and deliver professional results. Better, carbon steel skillets develop a naturally non-stick interior over time for easy food release and fast cleaning.
For an overview of how to season carbon steel — the proper way, check out this short video:
- Our Recommendations
- So here is my list of The 8 Best Carbon Steel Skillets
- 1. Lodge 12 Inch Seasoned Carbon Steel Skillet
- 2. Lodge Manufacturing Company CRS12HH61 carbon steel skillet
- 3. MINERAL B Round Carbon Steel Fry Pan 14-Inch
- 4. BK Cookware CC002352-001 Black Carbon Steel Skillet
- 5. Matfer Bourgeat 62005 frying pan
- 6. ICON Carbon Steel Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe Induction Safe Cookware
- 7. Lodge Manufacturing Company CRS8DLH carbon steel skillet
- 8. Marquette Castings 10.75″ Carbon Steel Skillet
- Final Words
So here is my list of The 8 Best Carbon Steel Skillets
1. Lodge 12 Inch Seasoned Carbon Steel SkilletLodge 12 Inch Seasoned Carbon Steel Skillet. Large Steel Skillet for Family Size Cooking.
LodgeBuy on Amazon
A perfect tool, whether you are looking for a skillet for braising, searing, frying, sautéing, roasting, simmering, or baking, is Lodge 12 Inch Seasoned Carbon Steel Skillet. This product is made using 12 gauge carbon steel. The steel is a high-density metal featuring excellent heating properties. As such, the pan can heat up fast and retain the heat for even cooking. Besides that, the carbon steel can maintain extremely low or high temperatures. As a result, it responds to the need for an effective and versatile cooking surface.
Designed for use in residential and commercial kitchens, the carbon steel skillet is brutally tough, and therefore able to withstand the high heat associated with searing and browning. Also, the skillet is versatile and suitable when used on all heat sources except microwave ovens. You can opt for this model when looking for a carbon steel skillet that is easy to clean. The reason is the pre-seasoned design and the fact that you can hand wash it, dry it immediately, and rub it using cooking oil.
Furthermore, the pre-seasoned design allows you to use it right out of the box, making it an excellent choice for a skillet that is easy to use. Lodge 12 Inch Seasoned Carbon Steel Skillet is made to last, thanks to the oil that is baked into the pores of the steel to protect it from rusting. Equipped with a handle that is secured using three rivets, the skillet is highly stable, and therefore, safe to use.
• Angled handle fits inside most ovens.
• The skillet surface is safe to use with metal objects.
• The cooking surface acquires natural non-stick properties after consistent use.
• Steel rived handle for safe and secure usage.
• Hanging hole on the handle for secure storage.
• Size: 12”
• Item weight: 4.67pounds
• Item material: Heavy-gauge carbon steel.
2. Lodge Manufacturing Company CRS12HH61 carbon steel skilletLodge Manufacturing Company carbon steel skillet, 12-Inch, Black/Orange
LodgeBuy on Amazon
Introducing the CRS12HH61 carbon steel skillet, this is one of the best picks for a carbon steel skillet that is suitable for use with large families. Made using heavy-duty 12-gauge carbon steel, it can withstand considerable abuse; thus, one of the best choices for an everyday-use skillet. Besides that, the skillet includes a steel riveted handle. Based on this design, you can grip the handle securely without the fear of it separating from the skillet.
The CRS12HH61 carbon steel skillet acts as the right tool for frying, searing, grilling, sautéing, and roasting. It includes a silicone hot handle holder that protects the hands from heat up to 500degrees Fahrenheit. Easy to clean, the skillet is dishwasher safe, while you can also handwash it, dry, and rub with cooking oil. Besides the 12″ skillet size, the product is also availed in the 10″ size, making it possible to pick one that will meet your desires.
• The easy-release finish improves with use.
• Steel rived handle for safe handling.
• Dishwasher safe and easy to clean.
• Silicone handle holder protects your hands from the heat.
• Size: 12”
• Item weight: 4.45pounds
• Item material: Heavy-duty carbon steel.
3. MINERAL B Round Carbon Steel Fry Pan 14-InchMINERAL B Round Carbon Steel Fry Pan 14-Inch
De BuyerBuy on Amazon
As one of the best carbon steel skillets, this is a 14″ fry pan suitable for browning, grilling and searing. The pan is made using 100% natural and 99% pure iron to guarantee durability. Better, it doesn’t include PFOA, PTFE, or chemicals to ensure user safety. Preseasoned using 100% natural Beewax finish, this is a naturally non-stick skillet that is safeguarded against oxidation. Furthermore, the pan reaches high temperatures fast while it sears the food quickly to preserve vitamins and nutrients.
The Mineral B Round Carbon Steel Fry Pan is induction safe and oven safe up to 20 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Besides that, it is warp-resistant and designed to deliver consistent and even distribution of the heat. Equipped with an ergonomic handle, the pan can offer a secure grip and guarantee a perfect balance. Moreover, its French curve is suitable for flipping, sautéing, and stirring.
• High-quality rivets do not loosen to guarantee safety.
• A hole on the handle for easy hanging.
• Two handles for easy lifting.
• Size: 14”
• Item weight: 7.75pounds
• Item material: Heavy-duty iron.
4. BK Cookware CC002352-001 Black Carbon Steel SkilletBK Cookware Skillet Black Carbon Steel, 10'
BK CookwareBuy on Amazon
If you are looking for a carbon steel skillet that will offer an exceptional browning and searing in a fraction of the weight of cast iron skillets, I would recommend the BK Cookware CC002352-001 Black Carbon Steel Skillet. The skillet is more responsive to heat while compared to cast iron. Because of this, it heats fast and evenly while forming a layer of Patina. The benefit of this is a more natural improvement that enhances the durability and nonstick properties of the skillet.
What’s more, the skillet is resistant to stains, corrosion, and damage. The reason is the black iron oxide layer that is safe to use with metal utensils. Fitted with coated cast iron handles, the skillet is safe to lift, thanks to the fact that the handles are attached securely using rivets. Furthermore, the handles are ergonomically shaped to guarantee user comfort. The carbon skillet is suitable for use over all stovetops, including induction. It is also safe to use in ovens up to 600°F. Pre-seasoned with oil, the pan gets ready to use after a quick wash using soap.
• Riveted cast iron handle for secure lifting.
• Natural nonstick patina layer for easy food release.
• Ultra-durable and lightweight black carbon steel construction.
• Pre-seasoned design for immediate use after arrival.
• Size: 10”
• Item weight: 3.14pounds
• Item material: Black carbon steel.
5. Matfer Bourgeat 62005 frying panMatfer Bourgeat Black Carbon Steel Fry Pan, 11 7/8"
Matfer BourgeatBuy on Amazon
The Matfer Bourgeat 62005 frying pan is a durable skillet made using heavy-duty black steel material. Also, it includes an extra-strong steel strip handle for safe and secure lifting. Designed for use over all hob types, you can use it on different cooktops, including induction. Besides that, the pan is easy to clean. The reason is the naturally non-stick interior designed for fast and easy food release. The frying pan can be seasoned for prolonged life and non-stick use. Because of its ability to distribute heat evenly, it is a great choice when you want to eliminate the chances of hot and cold spots in the food.
• Strong steel strip handle.
• Three rivets to secure the handle in place.
• Hole at the end of the handle for easy hanging.
• Non-stick interior for fast food release.
• Size: 11-7/8”
• Item weight: 4.11pounds
• Item material: Black steel.
6. ICON Carbon Steel Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe Induction Safe CookwareICON Carbon Steel Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe Induction Safe Cookware- Made in the USA (12- Inch Skillet)
ICONBuy on Amazon
The best cookware, whether you are looking for a skillet for cooking eggs, pan sauces, bacon, omelette or sear-roasting meat is ICON Carbon Steel Cookware. It is a 12″ skillet suitable for preparing large family meals. The skillet is metal utensil-safe, which means that you should not worry about peeling or flaking over time. It contains 98% iron core that delivers high heat retention plus even distribution of the heat, in a design that is 30%lighter than traditional cast iron.
The skillet is constructed using Iron, Oxygen, Nitrogen, and carbon. This design results in cookware that is nine times harder than steel so that it can withstand hot temperatures up to 800°F. Adopting a high-quality coating technology, the skillet doesn’t scratch delicate countertops or cooktops. Besides, it includes stay-cool handles for convenient lifting without the fear of burning the hands. You can use the cookware on every kitchen decor, thanks to the simple and stylish design. Better, the handles are stainless steel and designed to showcase the sleek design in modern decors.
• Chemical-free nonstick surface for easy cleaning and safe meals.
• Cookware withstands temperatures up to 800°F.
• Stay-cool handles guarantee user safety.
• High-quality iron core offers perfect distribution of the heat.
• Size: 4-quart.
• Item weight: 6.3 pounds
• Item material: carbon steel.
7. Lodge Manufacturing Company CRS8DLH carbon steel skilletLodge Manufacturing Company carbon steel skillet, 8", Black
LodgeBuy on Amazon
Create exceptional tasting meals with the help of Lodge CRS8DLH carbon steel skillet. Made using 12-gauge carbon steel, it is durable and designed for even distribution of the heat. Plus, it contains welded handles. The handles are ergonomically designed for convenient lifting without the fear of burning the hands. Suitable for use over different cooktops, the skillet can be used on the stove, over the campfire, in the oven, on the grill, or induction cooktops. Also, it is easy to care for. The reason is that you can wash it by hand, dry it immediately, and rub it using cooking oil for seasoning.
• Easy-release finish gets better with use.
• Two handles for safe and easy lifting.
• Durable carbon steel ensures even distribution of the heat.
• Size: 8”.
• Item weight: 2.09 pounds
• Item material: 12-gauge carbon steel.
8. Marquette Castings 10.75″ Carbon Steel Skillet10.75" Carbon Steel Skillet
Marquette CastingsBuy on Amazon
Acquire the benefits of a traditional cast-iron skillet without the weight associated with cast iron pans, once you buy Marquette Castings 10.75″ Carbon Steel Skillet. You can use it over a wide variety of cooktops including gas, oven, and electric stovetops. The skillet can retain heat perfectly, which makes it an ideal choice for searing. It features a surface that is smoother than cast iron for easier seasoning. Built using hand, the skillet can last a lifetime. Besides, it comes while preseasoned using flaxseed oil, making it ready for use right out of the box. You can get the skillet with an assurance that it is easy to clean, thanks to the non-stick surface that ensures easy release of the food.
• Durable handle for secure lifting.
• High-quality carbon steel for even and fast distribution of the heat.
• Hole at the edge of the handle for convenient hanging.
• Size: 10.75”.
• Item weight: 2.09 pounds
• Item material: 12-gauge carbon steel.
If you are looking for the best carbon steel skillets, I would recommend that you buy either of the reviewed products. These skillets feature durable materials that make them a top choice for a lot of users. For their ease of cleaning, good thermal conductivity, even distribution and retention of the heat, safety, and high-quality constructions, the pans have the most positive reviews that make them a great option to competitor products. Therefore, acquire them and rest assured to have spent your money wisely, and on products that will deliver a long service life.
I hope this list of the best carbon steel skillets was helpful.
If you think I left out one that is important or have a suggestion for a future article, let me know in the comments below.
Abu Bakar, Senior Editor at Palette Dining