So technically boozy peppermint hot chocolate isn’t a cocktail, but since it has booze and it’s drinkable, I think we can make some room for this one.
This recipe was a happy accident that involved a very necessary impulse buy. My parents gave me a very thorough education on the perils of impulse buys, but as my frontal cortex is still developing (I think…), I’m going to give in to the urge every once in a while, especially when it involves peppermint mocha Kahlua. This exists! It’s flying off the shelves of liquor stores in Winnipeg, and I was lucky enough to buy some before that happened.
There’s really no other way to drink this liqueur than in a creamy mug of hot chocolate. Or maybe a cup of coffee, but my brain can’t deal with that much caffeine in the evening. The pogo stick people do not like it one bit. Booze, on the other hand, they can handle. Logical? No. But it sure makes for an enjoyable evening.
This recipe is very similar to my whiskey hot chocolate, only it has a larger yield. And not unlike the whiskey hot chocolate, I hid this peppermint hot chocolate in the back of the fridge and drank it all myself. Oops. When your creations are that good, it’s impossible to share. But I don’t actually feel that bad, because I recently discovered that a certain someone I live with has caught on to my tricks, and does the same thing to me! So much for being sneaky.
The coffee taste is so mild it’s almost undetectable, so if you’re not a coffee drinker I think you’ll still enjoy this. It’s creamy, chocolatey, and minty thanks to the melted candy canes and the peppermint mocha Kahlua. If you can’t find that specific liqueur where you live, regular Kahlua works too. Just draw a few candy canes on the bottle and no one will know the difference. Enjoy
Boozy Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Author: Palette Dining
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 10 mins
Serves: serves 3-4
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes (about 9 candy canes)
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 fl. oz. peppermint mocha Kahlua
- marshmallows for topping (optional)
- To crush the candy canes, place the unwrapped candy canes in a food processor and pulse until crushed. Alternatively, use a ziploc bag and a rolling pin to crush the candy canes.
- To rim the mugs, fill a small bowl with 1/4 cup of the crushed candy canes. Fill a small bowl with water and dip the tops of the mugs in the bowl, then dip them in the crushed candy canes.
- In a small saucepan, add the cocoa, chocolate chips, sugar, 1/4 cup of the crushed candy canes, and the whole milk. Heat over medium, whisking constantly. One the hot chocolate starts to bubble, remove from heat. Stir in the kahlua and top with the optional marshmallows.