Hello from Hawaii!
I’m a little late on posting today because I had a long, sleepless flight yesterday. Why I chose to book a 6 am flight and go out and party in Vancouver’s gay district the night before, I do not know. I think my thoughts were that I might as well stay awake since we had to leave for the airport at 4 am, but this I highly regretted. Hangover + airplane motion sickness is no fun. But! Now we are here in beautiful Hawaii, filling out stomachs with poke bowls (pronounced Poe-key) and Hawaiian sweet bread.
We’re spending today at the beach and exploring the town, eating everything in sight. As usual. I’ll be sharing some Hawaiian food favorites soon but for now, I have these cheddar, bacon, and jalapeño muffins for you. When I first made these, I used a whole jalapeño pepper and let me say — they were SPICY! You can definitely get away with using half a small pepper, or even less if you are sensitive to spice. I wrote the recipe to reflect this as I don’t want anyone running around their kitchen with their ears flaming and forehead sweating!
Read: The 10 Best Muffin Pans
The savoury flavor is perfect for breakfast, and the salty cheddar and meaty bacon are a very satisfying combination. Cheddar, Bacon, and Jalapeño Muffins are perfect to store in your freezer for those busy mornings (my every morning). Just zap them for a minute or so to have a delicious steaming muffin on your plate. Enjoy
Print Cheddar, Bacon, and Jalapeno Muffins Author: Katy’s Kitchen Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 25 mins Total time: 40 mins Yield: 12 Ingredients
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup canola oil
- half a small jalapeño pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 5 slices cooked bacon, chopped into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the cheese. Add the milk, egg, and canola and whisk to combine. Stir in the bacon and jalapeños.
- Scoop into muffin cups and bake for 25 minutes or until the tops spring back to touch.