Food scents inspire strong emotions, differing from person to person. I remember one Christmas morning, my little sister, my uncle, and I devised a plan to wake up my parents as they decided to “sleep in” (it was probably 6 a.m. but this certainly felt like “sleeping in” to an eight-year-old on Christmas morning). We brewed some fresh mugs of coffee and held them below the door, trying our best to waft the smell into their room. It worked, kind of.
When I was a vegetarian, I couldn’t stand the smell of bacon. Crazy, I know. But I guess I got so used to not eating meat that I just became unaccustomed to the smells that went along with it. Nowadays, I eat meat nearly every day and savour it, and the smell of bacon makes me drool. Except when I’ve had too many margaritas…
When you’re craving that perfect snack that’s salty and will fill you up quite nicely (I’m a chip fanatic, but they often leave you with that empty stomach feeling), this cheddar bacon popcorn fits the bill. It’s simple to throw together like all my recipes, and it’s meaty while being the perfect balance of hearty and light. You should eat it right after making it, as popcorn tossed with cheese tends to get soggy over time, but I don’t think you’ll have a problem with demolishing the whole bowl. Maybe invite a friend over for movies and see their eyes grow when you bring this to the table.
Also: I’ve updated my photography tips page! And by updated, I mean I’ve spent lots of time adding more information to really make it a comprehensive resource for anyone interested in improving their food photography. Take a look and let me know what you think!
As always, feel free to leave a comment on this post, or, if you make one of my recipes, tag your baking #palettedining so I can see all your tasty creations! Enjoy
5.0 from 1 review sprint Cheddar Bacon Popcorn Author: Katy’s Kitchen Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 15 mins Total time: 20 mins Yield: serves 4 Ingredients
- ⅓ cup + 2 Tablespoons popcorn kernels
- 5 slices of bacon
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pop the popcorn using an air popper or a paper bag in the microwave. Pour into a large mixing bowl. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Cook the bacon on a frying pan over the stove (or on a paper towel in the microwave, about 3 minutes), flipping often and until crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Crumble up the bacon and toss the popcorn with the cheddar cheese, the bacon, and salt. Pour onto a foil-lined baking sheet and bake for about 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Serve. Popcorn will last in an air-tight container for a couple of days, but it’s best eaten immediately.