I’m writing this post from a gagillion thousand feet in the air on my way to Vancouver. I’ll be spending a few days there visiting family and friends (it seems like everyone is flocking to Vancouver these days, and I would be too, would it not be for the fact that I’d probably have to live in a tiny room in a broken-down house with six other roommates). I’m so excited to see everyone, but mostly just happy to be getting out of Winnipeg. Though it’s become homier and homier to me over the years (I didn’t grow up here) it tends to spark that recognizably dull feeling that there’s nothing new, I’ve seen it all (I haven’t, of course).
It’s also wonderful to get the opportunity to try out new restaurants, scope out new chefs, and eat through the city. I’m spending this tomorrow evening at a craft brewery pub with my cousin and that’s why I’m writing this post on the plane – after a few brews there might be too many spelling mistakes and nonsensical words to post online, and these decisions must always happen BEFORE the brews, or else. I’m telling you.
This chocolate raspberry cake is actually an adaption of my chocolate pistachio cake. But instead of a ganache topping, you’re going to sink your fork into mile-high whipped cream tossed with raspberries and set with the lightest sprinkling of dark chocolate.
Confession: I ate *nearly* this entire cake on my own.
After a day or two, the whipped cream slowly soaks into the already quite moist chocolate cake, making this some sort of pudding cake dream. The cake comes together in one bowl, the frosting another, and you’ll probably finding yourself getting seconds and fourths or sneaking into the fridge for a midnight snack. Which I like to on special occasions (a.k.a. every night). Enjoy
Chocolate Raspberry Cake
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 1 hour 5 mins
Serves: serves 6-8
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup of water
- 1-pint whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups raspberries
- optional: chocolate shavings
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and butter and flour an 8-inch springform pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center and add the vanilla, cider vinegar, and canola oil. Add half the water and whisk to combine, then add the rest of the water and whisk to combine.
- Pour the batter in the pan and bake for about 35 minutes, or until the top of the cake springs back to touch. Let the cake cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, add all the ingredients except the raspberries to a large mixing bowl and mix on high until stiff peaks form. Break apart/squish the raspberries with your hands and stir into the whipped cream. Smooth over the top of the cooled cake and garnish with chocolate shavings (optional).
I may be slow to respond to comments as I’m currently on vacation. Thanks for understanding!