My little cookbook collection is starting to grow and I couldn’t be more excited. When I received The Sprouted Kitchen cookbook for my birthday last year, I was overjoyed. I’ve followed the Sprouted Kitchen blog for a while now and am always enamored by the way Sara creates such creative dishes with wholesome ingredients.
The cookbook is no different. With such recipes as edamame dumplings and grapefruit margaritas, it’s hard to know where to start. Every cookbook has it’s purpose, and for me, this cookbook provides recipes I could wow a crowd with. Healthy food that doesn’t look healthy.
It’s sort of an all-around cookbook staple since it has breakfasts, mains, drinks, appetizers, and even desserts. Hugh dances with light through his photography and captures the magic of their kitchen. Be sure to get a copy
of the book and head on over to the Sprouted Kitchen blog if you haven’t already.
This recipe is a small adaption of the Coconut Loaf. The only changes I made were using all whole-grain flour, adding some chewy dates to the mix, and slightly reducing the sugar in the glaze.
Since coconut milk is already slightly sweet, you really don’t need much more sugar than that. You could get away with ¼ cup but the glaze would be slightly thinner.
The cake was a hit with everyone, even a good friend of mine who hates coconut. With three different types of coconut in the recipe, I was pleasantly shocked.
It’s sweet enough to be a dessert, but not overly so. It makes a great little treat to go with your coffee, as per Sara’s suggestion in the cookbook. So if your coffee’s feeling a little lonely this morning, coconut loaf should fix that right up.
5.0 from 1 review Print Coconut Date Loaf Author: Katy’s Kitchen Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 50 mins Total time: 1 hour 10 mins Yield: one 9×5 loaf Ingredients
- 2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut*
- 2 eggs
- 1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¾ cup of cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 and ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and ¾ cups whole spelled flour
- ½ cup dates, chopped
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper or spray very well with cooking spray.
- Spread the coconut on a baking pan and toast until brown, about 6 minutes. Watch very carefully as coconut burns quickly. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, 1 cup of the coconut milk, coconut oil, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Stir in 1 and ½ cups of the shredded coconut and spelled flour until just combined, being careful not to overmix. Fold in the dates. The batter will be thick.
- Scoop the batter into the loaf pan and smooth over the top. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool completely before glazing. To make the glaze, whisk ¼ cup of coconut milk (this will leave some leftover in the can) and the powdered sugar. Drizzle over the loaf and top with the rest of the shredded coconut.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Notes & Substitutions *you can use sweetened coconut, but reduce the sugar by 2 TB.