Getting back in the kitchen after almost a week away feels like coming home after a long vacation.
I missed the way a spatula cleanly scrapes off the batter circling the bowl. I missed dipping a spoon into the soft flour, stirring it around to let some air in, and evenly sliding a knife over the top of the measuring cup. I missed slipping on my oven mitts and ever so carefully placing the cake in the oven.
The only disappointment about this recipe was that it came together so quickly, I really didn’t spend that much time in the kitchen. But I know to most of you that this is far from a disappointment, and easy recipes are much more realistic than those ones that seem to take all day.
I used my favorite Chocolate Pistachio Cake recipe as a base for this Vegan Funfetti Cake and reduced the sugar slightly since there’s no bitter cocoa in this recipe.
Instead, this fun little cake is loaded with funfetti sprinkles. If you have a cake craving and little time, this one is just perfect. It’s vegan by default and you probably already have the ingredients in your pantry.
I’m becoming a little desensitized to kitchen smells, but my roommate told me it made the place smell amazing. Natural air fresheners for the win!
Easy, One-Bowl Vegan Funfetti Cake
Author: Palette Dining
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Serves: one 8×8 cake
This cake is fun and simple when you’re looking for an easy, last-minute dessert. You can use the simple glaze I’ve noted in the recipe, or any other frosting as well.
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 cup water
- 3 Tablespoons spinkles
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon almond milk
- 2-3 Tablespoons sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grease and flour an 8×8 baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Make a well in the center, and in the well add the vanilla, vinegar, and oil. Gradually add the water, whisking to combine until just mixed.
- Fold in the sprinkles.
- Pour the batter into the pan (it will be runny) and bake 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Wait until the cake has completely cooled before glazing.
- To make the glaze, add the sugar and milk to a small bowl and stir to combine. Spread over the cake and top with sprinkles.
CHOCOLATE PISTACHIO CAKE