How to Get Your Snack On- Missy Elliot Style
- Listen to “Get your freak on” by Missy Elliot
- Replace the word “freak” with “snack”
Go get your snack on! Go, get your snack on!
You get the idea. And there you have it- this snack just got a whole lot funner, and YOU just Got Your Snack On!
(Yeah, I know. Funner isn’t a word. But I just created a song about snacks. Which is incredibly cool! So shhhhh.)
I wanted to create a square that was similar to puffed wheat squares, but without all that corn syrup and sugar. With only 5 ingredients, these squares come together in a pinch and are as easy to eat as they are to make.
I like the tartness that the cranberries provided, but you could also add raisins, or maybe even chopped up dried mangoes…get creative!
Puffed Millet Squares
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 10 min
Chill time: 2 hours
- 4 Cups Puffed Millet (I used Nature’s Path- could use other puffed cereal)
- ¼ c. peanut butter (I used all natural, unsweetened)
- ¾ c. honey
- 2 TB unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup dried cranberries (optional)
- Line an 8×8 pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Combine peanut butter, honey, and applesauce in a small saucepan. Heat over medium, stirring, until it starts to boil. Remove from heat.
- Pour millet into a large bowl. Add liquid mixture and stir with a spatula. Add dried cranberries, if using.
- Pour into pan and press down with a spatula. I took a piece of parchment paper, placed it on top, then rolled over it with a mug to squish it down.
- Chill for 2 hours, then cut into squares. Keep chilled or the bars tend to get a bit crumbly.
Note: If using sweetened peanut butter, you might want to cut down on the honey. Unless you have a big sweet tooth!
The best part is, once you are done, you can create a little puffed millet square house.
So go on, lick the bowl…