Fact: I used to hate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
I still remember the day I discovered my favorite childhood sandwich. My mom was very health-conscious: finding white bread in my lunch was a rare event. That’s why at 7 years old, that white bread sandwich with mustard and turkey breast was a dream come true.
My mom always made sure her kids ate healthy and wholesome foods. It took me years to get over the fact that I never found Dunkaroos in my lunch. Maybe that’s the reason I love baking so much. Maybe it’s also the reason I get excited over whole grains and vegetables.
Thanks for feeding me healthier food than Dunkaroos, Mom.
These PB & J Brownies bring together classic spreads I’ve grown to love. Using all-natural peanut butter and homemade jam tones down that sickly-sweet flavor a traditional PB & J sandwich is well-known for.
To make these brownies, I took my Fudgey One-Bowl Brownies and gave them a little health twist.
Spelled flour, an ancient strain of wheat, gives these brownies whole-grain goodness without a gritty taste. Unsweetened applesauce adds a ton of moisture without the fat. In fact, there’s only 2 TB of oil in the entire recipe.
Try to make these brownies a day ahead and leave them in the fridge overnight. That’s the secret to their super-fudgy flavor and texture.
Health-conscious, make-ahead, one-bowl vegan brownies: approved by countless friends and family. Need I say more?
PB & J Brownies
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Serves: one 8×8 pan
- 1 cup whole spelled flour
- ¾ cup coconut palm sugar*
- 6 TB cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 flax egg (1 TB ground flax + 2 TB water)
- 3 TB water
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 2 TB grapeseed oil or other light oil
- 6 TB unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup all-natural peanut butter
- 3 TB strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper. Set aside. Prepare flax egg and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients. Sift with a whisk to combine. In the same bowl, add all the wet ingredients except for the peanut butter and jam. Mix well to combine.
- Spread the brownie batter into the prepared pan with a spatula. Heat the peanut butter in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Spoon the peanut butter in straight lines over the brownie batter, and swirl around with a knife. Do the same with the jam.
- Bake brownies for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (insert the toothpick into a spot where there is no peanut butter/jam).
- Let the brownies cool in the pan completely before cutting. If you place the pan in the fridge overnight, the brownies will become even fudgier. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
*Coconut palm sugar may be substituted for white sugar.
1. Fudgey One-Bowl Brownies