Rosemary and Cheddar Soda Bread. Carbs. Gluten. Cheese. Yum.
Okay, time for some full sentences. The sentences in my head that are never fully formed aren’t quite blog-worthy. But seriously. Bread. It’s so great. There’s hardly anything better than the sweet smell of bread wafting through the house after a long, busy day.
You might remember when I posted a lot of gluten-free recipes some months ago. I tried the gluten-free thing for a while, and because of that, I have now introduced some lovely grains into my diet like millet. But gluten-free isn’t really for me. Bread, I just can’t quit you.
This rosemary and cheddar soda bread requires no rising, no mixer, and hardly any kneading. Do you know what that means? Hardly any work!
All that’s required is a little mixing and a little shaping, and the chemical reaction between baking soda, buttermilk, and the heat of your oven works its magic.
I always make vegan buttermilk using almond milk and lemon juice. Stir them together and let them curdle, and you’ll never have to worry about running to the grocery store. I used old cheddar cheese, which I highly recommend for its sharp flavor, but vegan cheddar shreds may easily be substituted.
If toast is your thing (isn’t it everyone’s thing?) then you absolutely have to try this bread toasted. Cue more heavenly smells.
Print Rosemary and Cheddar Soda Bread Author: Katy’s Kitchen Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 40 mins Total time: 55 mins Yield: 1 loaf Ingredients
- 3 cups (384 g) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 and ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon rosemary
- 1 and ½ cups buttermilk*
- 62 g (about ¾ cup) shredded old cheddar cheese*
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking soda, salt, and rosemary. Whisk to combine.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Add the buttermilk slowly, stirring as you pour. Continue to stir until a shaggy dough is formed (this won’t take long).
- Dump out the dough onto a well-floured surface and dust your hands with flour. Knead 8-10 times and form into a round shape.
- Place on the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool on a wire rack before slicing. Store in an airtight container for up to three days.
Notes *For vegan buttermilk, add 1 and ½ Tablespoons lemon juice to non-dairy milk and stir to combine. Use vegan cheddar shreds if desired.