Thin & Crispy Granola Cookies
Thin and crispy oatmeal cookies have been on my recipe bucket list for quite some time. I’ve always pushed them away in favor of chocolate and fruit desserts, but after I made this granola I was inspired. What would happen if I not only made an oatmeal cookie but threw in some granola as well?
Here’s what happened.
I created a cookie that’s thin, chewy, and crispy all at once. It’s the kind of cookie that when broken in half, slowly comes apart between your fingers.
It’s the kind of cookie that’s crispy on the bottom and the edges, with surprising little granola crunches throughout.
It’s the kind of cookie that’s full of fiber- but you’d never know. You could tell your friends it’s vegan but they wouldn’t believe you.
The thin and crispy-ness of the cookies happened by a wonderful accident. When developing new cookie recipes, it’s often a surprise how they’ll turn out. These granola cookies slowly spread on the sheets as the timer counted down. Watching the edges turn that coveted golden color was like relaxing by the sunrise on a quiet morning.
You can use any granola you like, but I highly suggest homemade. I used my Coconut Chia Granola and removed the giant coconut flakes. Kitchen Sink Granola would also work quite nicely. Cranberries add a spark of tartness to the cookies but feel free to substitute with raisins, dried apricots, etc.
Granola cookies are going to become a staple for me. I can imagine they’d be a great snack to bring on a hiking trip or even a nice treat with lunch. My mom said they were her favorite cookie I’ve made, and I might have to agree. I hope you do, too.
Print Thin & Crispy Granola Cookies Author: Katy’s Kitchen Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 15 mins Total time: 30 mins Yield: 14-15 cookies A thin, chewy, and crispy cookie with crunchy granola bits throughout. Customize by using homemade granola. Ingredients
- 1 flax egg (1 TB ground flax + 3 TB water)
- ½ cup vegan margarine*
- ¾ cup of cane sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole spelled flour
- ½ cup large flake rolled oats
- ½ cup granola*
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prepare the flax egg and set aside. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats. Do not skip this step or the cookies will stick to the pan!
- In a large mixing bowl, add the margarine, sugar, baking soda, salt, and flax egg. Beat on medium-high to combine.
- Stir in the vanilla extract, flour, and rolled oats with a spatula. Fold in the granola and dried cranberries.
- Drop cookie dough onto sheets, using roughly 1 TB of dough per cookie. Try to place the dough about 2 inches apart, with only 6-7 cookies per sheet. The dough will spread and the cookies will flatten in the oven.
- Bake the cookies for a total of 14 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Rotate the sheets halfway through to ensure even baking. When removing the sheets from the oven, give the sheets a light tap on the countertop to deflate the cookies. Let them cool on the sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
Notes *I used Becel Vegan, but any margarine or softened butter can be substituted here. I used my Coconut Chia Granola but picked out the large coconut flakes. Substitute any homemade or store-bought granola as long as the granola isn’t too chunky.
You might also like: